[Question] refcount of DT node

Mark Rutland mark.rutland at arm.com
Thu Apr 14 02:59:57 PDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 09:48:49AM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 04:47:57PM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> > Hi experts.
> >
> > My understanding of refcount of DT node is poor.
>
> The message from DT people is... don't worry about DT node refcounting.
> Do whatever you want with it, they don't care whether you have correct
> refcounting or not.
>
> The background behind that is that I've tried to fix the refcounting,
> and even had the coccinelle people generate some stuff to work on this
> issue, but DT people's attitude towards it is "don't bother".
>
> So yes, people may get it wrong, but it seems it's something that DT
> people want ignored.

I'm not sure that's quite fair; the last discussion I recall about this
ended up concluding that we need a better API, rather than papering over
problems.

That said, there isn't much obvious progress on that front.

Frank, Pantelis, Rob, were there any conclusions on this from ELC, or is
this something that needs someone to propose something?

Mark.

[1] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.devicetree/153777