[next] Failing Odroid XU3 boot due to missing MMC device

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Thu Apr 14 01:45:30 PDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 10:31:12AM +0200, Markus Reichl wrote:
> Hi Krzysztof,
>
> yes, observed this with linux-next from yesterday 13.
>
> I boot from eMMC.
> Device numbering of eMMC and SD are exchanged now.
>
> I solved the boot problem by changing the rootdev in U-Boot env
> from /dev/mmcblk0p2 to /dev/mmcblk1p2.
>
> Changed /etc/fdisk, too, to mount /dev/mmcblk1p1 to /boot.

You really should mount by partition uuid - supplying something like:

	root=PARTUUID=f3ae567e-02

on the kernel command line.  This makes the mounting of rootfs
independent of which device carries the filesystem.

If you're not using an initramfs, the kernel prints the partuuid
values if it doesn't find the rootfs.  I don't know how to get the
partuuids without going through that process, sorry.

--
RMK's Patch system: http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/patches/
according to speedtest.net.