答复: Question about the sparse memory section size

Dave P Martin Dave.Martin at arm.com
Wed Sep 23 05:08:55 PDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 02:16:45AM +0100, Qijiwen wrote:
> In fact the free_unused_memmap function is not invoked when CONFIG_SPARSEMEM_VMEMMAP is enabled.
> The reason is that the memmap region is mapped in unit of 2MB, not in unit of 4KB.
>
> Below is the source code in arch/arm64/mm/init.c:
> void __init mem_init(void)
> {
> 	swiotlb_init(1);
>
> 	set_max_mapnr(pfn_to_page(max_pfn) - mem_map);
>
> #ifndef CONFIG_SPARSEMEM_VMEMMAP
> 	free_unused_memmap();
> #endif

Oops, you're right.  But if we're not already doing so, it could still
make sense to unmap useless backing memory from the vmemmap, or try
harder to avoid mapping it in the first place.

However, whether this is is worth it depends on what fraction of
memory is wasted on your platform.  After all, every page struct is
"wasted" memory.  Which means 1-2% of RAM is always "wasted" for
a kernel with 4KB page size anyway.

Cheers
---Dave

[...]