Steps to submit a new arch/arm port

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Wed Sep 23 02:26:50 PDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 11:21:15AM +0200, Mason wrote:
> On 23/09/2015 11:13, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 10:49:25AM +0200, Mason wrote:
> >> In my platform Kconfig, something along the lines of
> >>
> >> config ARM_L1_CACHE_SHIFT
> >> 	int
> >> 	default 5 if !ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM
> >
> > How would that be useful to you?  Arnd is saying that you will always
> > need ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM selected to build your platform.
> >
> > This symbol doesn't automatically turn off just because you only have
> > one platform enabled.
>
> I must be missing the big picture for ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM.
>
> I thought modern ports /had/ to support it, but that it could
> be disabled locally to build a single platform kernel?

ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM is purely a Kconfig construct to allow separation of
platforms which support being built together, and those which don't.
It provides a certain basic level of support when enabled (such as DT,
CCF, etc.)  It remains enabled even if you only want to build for one
platform in the multi-platform group.

according to speedtest.net.