question about DOMAIN_BUS_ANY

Stuart Yoder stuart.yoder at freescale.com
Tue Sep 8 15:41:37 PDT 2015

Marc,

Have a question about DOMAIN_BUS_ANY.  Based on your comment in
include/linux/irqdomain.h:

  /*
   * Should several domains have the same device node, but serve
   * different purposes (for example one domain is for PCI/MSI, and the
   * other for wired IRQs), they can be distinguished using a
   * bus-specific token. Most domains are expected to only carry
   * DOMAIN_BUS_ANY.
   */

...if there are 2 domains that are based on the same GIC ITS node,
for example PCI and the new Freescale "fsl-mc" bus, we should
be extending irq_domain_bus_token with a new token, correct?

The reason "most" domains are expected to have BUS_ANY is because
most domains have 1 associated device node and there is no ambiguity,
right?

Currently the fsl-mc bus driver is in drivers/staging.  Is that
an issue with respect to extending the enum?  (not 100% sure
what the rules are regarding drivers in staging and other
dependencies like this enum which are outside of staging).

Another related question... we are implementing a fsl-mc
bus specific support in a irq-gic-v3-its-fsl-mc-msi.c file,
similar to what you did for PCI and platform buses.  Do you
want to see that file in drivers/staging for now, or should
we put it under drivers/irqchip?

Thanks,
Stuart