mysterious crashes on OMAP5 uevm

Grazvydas Ignotas notasas at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 05:46:48 PDT 2015

Hi,

this is a longstanding problem I'm seeing since the very beginning,
which was around 3.12 or so (when I've first got the hardware) and it
seems 4.2 is affected by it still. Basically what happens is Xorg
randomly segfaults at some "impossible" location. I don't have the
details at the moment (could get them is needed), but from what I
examined with gdb some time ago the situation did not make any sense.

There are 2 workarounds that I know which make the problem go away
(one is enough):
- recompile Xorg with -marm (I'm using Debian armhf so it's thumb2 by default)
- disable ARCH_MULTI_V6 in the kernel config

Because of the above workarounds I have forgotten about it several
times, but it regularly comes back and bites again. It would look like
some missing erratum workaround, but I have all of them enabled in the
kernel.

Does anyone know about this? Perhaps some missing erratum workaround
in the bootloader? u-boot isn't too old here (2015.07).

Gražvydas