earlycon issues in -next with amba-pl011 updates

Marc Zyngier marc.zyngier at arm.com
Thu Sep 3 11:16:28 PDT 2015

On 03/09/15 19:03, Peter Hurley wrote:
> On 09/03/2015 01:53 PM, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

>>> Fix has been on list since Aug 10.
>>>
>>> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-serial/msg18576.html
>>
>> Now if only someone would have at least compile tested it :)
>
> On 08/11/2015 06:07 AM, Leif Lindholm wrote:
>> It works, but builds with:
>> drivers/tty/serial/amba-pl011.c:329:13: warning: ‘pl011_writeb’
>> defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
>>  static void pl011_writeb(struct uart_amba_port *uap, u8 val, int
>>              ^
>> I was dithering about whether having _relaxed accessors in post boot
>> code and plain ones in earlycon was an issue, but I guess it doesn't
>> matter much.
>
> Russell wanted me to do a bunch of improvements, but I wrote that
> should wait until 4.3-rc cycle.

It is well known that we merge "improvements" outside of the merge
window. And what about starting with a series that is actually bisectable?

It is quite apparent that this code hasn't been tested enough, hasn't
been reviewed enough, and breaks a wide range of platforms (almost
anything that sits on and under my desk, TBH).

That's really for Greg to decide, but I'm not overly confident with the
state of this series as it stands.

Thanks,

	M.