[GIT PULL] pxa for v4.4

Olof Johansson olof at lixom.net
Sun Oct 25 22:55:57 PDT 2015

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 12:17:25PM +0200, Robert Jarzmik wrote:
> Olof Johansson <olof at lixom.net> writes:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 09:00:40PM +0200, Robert Jarzmik wrote:
> >> Hi Arnd, Kevin and Olof,
> >>
> >> This is the pxa pull request for 4.4 cycle. It is mainly magician enhancement
> >> and fixes. Could you please consider pulling ?
> >>
> >> The following changes since commit 6ff33f3902c3b1c5d0db6b1e2c70b6d76fba357f:
> >>
> >>   Linux 4.3-rc1 (2015-09-12 16:35:56 -0700)
> >>
> >> are available in the git repository at:
> >>
> >>   https://github.com/rjarzmik/linux.git pxa-for-4.4
> >
> > Hi Robert,
> >
> > I'm glad to see all this activity on PXA! You're reaching the amount of new
> > stuff that it's time to start splitting up in topics. I'll merge this branch
> > for this release, but I'm also going to go through below and show you how this
> > can/should be split up in the future.
> Ok, great !
>
> > First, take a look at our tree and how it's organized. Look at my presentation
> > from ELC 2014, or Arnd's from this year, to get an idea of the philosophy we
> > use and roughly how we categorize patches.
> Ok, just did.
> I must admit I've been a bit lazy in this cycle, as I already have my tree split
> into cleanup/fix/for-next/dt ...
>
> For cleanup, I understand it all.
> For the single fix, I wasn't aware I could make pull request before a merge
> window for fixes, I though I could only issue them for post -rc1 series.

You can, but it's usually tricky to find a good base for them since we normally
ask for an -rc as the base for your branch.

For simple single fixes, you can always send them as patches as well. Or send
them after -rc1. :)

> >> Petr Cvek (22):
> > Most of these are fixes/cleanups. With a burst of patches like this it can
> > sometimes be hard to rip them apart and put some in one bucked and others in
> > another. Feel free to keep them in a separate topic in that case
> > (magician-cleanup or similar)
> All right, understood, that translates into a separate pull request.
>
> > Board code, of which we tend to have almost none these days. :-)
> I know, I'm working on the ablation, it's just the patient is long to cure :)
>
> >> Thierry Reding (17):
> > This could also be a topic on its own. We'd merge it into the cleanup branch at
> > our end, but you can provide it as a separate branch if you want.
> Okay, understood.
>
> > Don't hesitate to ask if you have questions on how to handle this down the
> > road.
> Okay, thanks.
> I'll try to split better next time. If I see I have another heavy pull-request
> (at least heavy in a dying architecture context), I'll try to provide the pull
> requests earlier, at -rc4, to let you time to correct me if I messed it up.

No worries at all -- as I said, it's fine as it is and I was just taking the
opportunity to show how you could be thinking about it going forward.

-Olof