console vs earlycon ?

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Wed Oct 21 07:13:08 PDT 2015

On Wednesday 21 October 2015 09:53:47 Peter Hurley wrote:

> >> I doubt it.
> >>

> >> I have a board with a pure 8250-compat device working.
> >> (  compatible = "ns16550a")
> >> It uses of_serial.c, of course.
> >>

> >> As far as I tested, it would never enable the console at console_init().
> >
> > Ok, that sounds like a bug. Peter and others have changed that code
> > a lot in the last year. I wonder if this has never worked then or
> > if it has regressed.
>
> No, not a bug. console_init() is only for legacy platforms, not for
> probed drivers.

Ah, I had no idea we were moving in this direction. So I guess the idea
is not to add another for_each_compatible_node() loop when we already have
two places (earlycon and tty) in the code that do this?

> > * arch/powerpc/kernel/legacy_serial.c does everything we need, but
> >   does not live in architecture independent code and does a few
> >   things that we probably don't need or want there. It relies
> >   on scanning the device tree for known UART device nodes before
> >   the platform devices are added.
> >
> > * for console_initcall() to do the right thing, we want both the
> >   ttyS devices to get added early for console=ttyS1 to work, as well
> >   as having the preferred console work based on the stdout-property.
> >
> > * we parse the /chosen/stdout-path property in drivers/of/base and
> >   store the device node pointer in the global 'of_stdout' variable,
> >   but do not use it until the uart is added by the tty driver
> >   and calls of_console_check() to add the default console device.
>
> I'm assuming the issue with trying to get console_init() working
> is because the dummy color console causes the earlycon to be disabled?

I don't think so.

My line of thinking was more about usability: earlycon requires that
you edit the kernel command line at the moment, while console_init()
doesn't require any user interaction and just uses the stdout-path.

I guess we could enable earlycon using a Kconfig symbol if we want
to, or make it a per-architecture decision whether it's enabled even
in the absence of the command line flag.

	Arnd