[GIT PULL] Broadcom soc changes for v4.4 (try 2)

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Thu Oct 15 13:16:39 PDT 2015

On Saturday 10 October 2015 11:40:29 Florian Fainelli wrote:

> The following changes since commit 6ff33f3902c3b1c5d0db6b1e2c70b6d76fba357f:
>
>   Linux 4.3-rc1 (2015-09-12 16:35:56 -0700)
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
>   http://github.com/Broadcom/stblinux.git tags/arm-soc/for-4.4/soc
>
> for you to fetch changes up to c4a8ea9e0698945b182ba1e1063a0981b1f35139:
>
>   ARM: brcmstb: Setup BIU control registers during boot (2015-10-09 13:42:18 -0700)

> This pull request contains the following Broadcom SoC platform and driver changes:
>
> - Brian Norris create a drivers/soc/brcmstb/ stub as a place holder for SoC-specific
>   code which is coming next

I should have been clearer with my complaint last week. I really mean both
of Brian's patches should be removed, although I mainly talked about the
other one. This patch goes to great length to introduce a soc_is_brcmstb()
function, but I'd rather see this never being used anywhere.

Drivers should not have to check the compatible property of the root node
(in some cases we do, but that is because the initial binding was broken
and we could not change it).

> - Florian Fainelli adds support for configuring the BCM7xxx SoCs Bus Interface Unit
>   with their specific write-pairing setting, which must be saved and restored during
>   system-wide suspend/resume, and consequently updates the brcmstb machine code to
>   initialize the BIU
>
> - Jon Mason adds support for the Northstar Plus SoCs by introducing a custom machine
>   descriptor matching their compatible string and setting up the PL310 L2 cache and
>   enabling the relevant ARM errata for their Cortex-A9

I've merged all of the series anyway, since it's not a big enough
problem to make you do another iteration, and I've already pushed
back once.

Let's talk about this again when you add users of this function, so
we can ideally come up with a better solution and remove the two files
again.

Pulled into next/soc. Thanks for your patience and for respinning
the series so quickly!

	Arnd