bcm4708-smartrg-sr400ac boot failures in next-20150918+

Lucas Stach l.stach at pengutronix.de
Wed Oct 14 03:04:19 PDT 2015

Am Mittwoch, den 14.10.2015, 10:56 +0100 schrieb Russell King - ARM
Linux:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 11:48:45AM +0200, Lucas Stach wrote:
> > I think we really want to keep enabling the imprecise aborts as early as
> > possible to catch them near the spot where they did happen.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > So I think the right thing to work around your broken bootloader is to
> > install the fault handler earlier. Russell, do you have any objections
> > to that?
>
> How about installing the fault handler early before enabling the imprecise
> aborts, and have the fault handler print a complaint about the broken
> boot loader, and have the fault handler uninstall itself after the
> imprecise abort has been enabled?

We might point at the bootloader a bit too often this way, as there is
quite a bit of kernel code running before we can enable imprecise
aborts. But I like the idea in general as it would allow us to drop
those workaround from the individual architectures and move things into
common code.

> If there's a pending imprecise abort, it should be delivered as soon as
> they're unmasked.

Right.

Regards,
Lucas
--
Pengutronix e.K.             | Lucas Stach                 |
Industrial Linux Solutions   | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |