Regression: at24 eeprom writing

Peter Rosin peda at lysator.liu.se
Tue Oct 13 07:35:45 PDT 2015

On 2015-10-13 14:57, Nicolas Ferre wrote:
> Le 13/10/2015 12:38, Peter Rosin a écrit :

>>> Hi Peter,
>>>
>>> I have sent a patch to Ludovic for a first internal review before publishing to
>>> mainline. The patch should fix your issue since it fixes it on my sama5d36ek
>>> board with an at24 eeprom.
>>>
>>> More details on the reason of this bug would be provided in both the commit
>>> message and comments in the code provided by the reviewed patch but I you want
>>> an early fix just read the Status Register (AT91_TWI_SR) at the beginning of
>>> at91_do_twi_transfer(). This read clears the NACK bit in the Status Register.
>>> Then the following source code can safely enable the NACK interrupt, otherwise
>>> in some cases a pending NACK interrupt would rise immediately after the line:
>>> at91_twi_write(dev, AT91_TWI_IER, AT91_TWI_NACK);
>>> hence breaking the sequence of operations to be done because the interrupt
>>> handler would call complete() too early so wait_for_completion_timeout()
>>> also exits too early.
>>>
>>> So reading the Status Register at the beginning of at91_do_twi_transfer()
>>> should be enough to fix the issue.
>>
>> Yes, I see no more long ACKs after that reading the Status Register there.
>> Great!
>>
>>> Another mistake is in the interrupt handler itself, ie atmel_twi_interrupt():
>>> we should check the TWI_TXRDY status bit before calling
>>> at91_twi_write_next_byte() only if both the TWI_TXCOMP and TWI_NACK status bits
>>> are clear. Otherwise, writing a new byte into the THR tells the I2C controller
>>> to start a new transfer. Then the I2C slave, the at24 eeprom, is likely to
>>> also reply by a second NACK. Hence the NACK bit is already set into the Status
>>> Register on the next call of at91_do_twi_transfer().
>>> This is what I saw on my scope for PIO transfers.
>>
>> I interpret this as a proposed solution for the strange double NACKs?
>>
>> Anyway, I find it unnecessarily hard to grasp exactly what you mean
>> (wasteful policy you are apparently suffering from where it is OK to
>> publish a patch written in English, but apparently a big no-no to
>> send a diff until it passes some internal review???). I interpreted
>
> I find your remark pretty rude as I'm reading it while just at the desk
> behind me Cyrille and Ludovic are together trying hard to understand and
> fix this issue.
> They are making sure that this fix doesn't interfere with another SoC's
> IP version with any of the PIO/DMA/FIFO transfer types.
>
> Cyrille just wanted to keep you informed quickly as we were
> progressing... Anyone can tell you that, obviously, there is no stupid
> policy of not releasing patches @ Atmel!
>
> Anyway, let's keep the good debugging session progressing well with your
> valuable help...

Yeah, right, that didn't come out right. Sorry!

It was just that from over here I was pulling my hair out over this bug,
and then there appeared to have existed a patch that had been stuck in
internal review since some point last week. I realize now that this might
not have been the case and that the solution could have been found just
yesterday, but the impression I got was that it was not a fresh fix and
that made me a bit tired. So, sorry again.

I will now go test the patch instead. Knock wood.

Cheers,
Peter