I/O issues with writing to mtdblock devices on kirkwood

Rob J. Epping rob.epping at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 09:05:04 PDT 2015

On October 12, 2015 4:29:51 PM GMT+02:00, JM <fijam at archlinux.us> wrote:
>On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 5:35 PM, Andrew Lunn <andrew at lunn.ch> wrote:

>Debian
>(e.g.
>switch
>by

>any

>contended,

>>> Is there any update on this? The bug persists with kernel 4.2.1
>>
>> Sorry, not had time to look.
>>
>> Do you have any idea when the issue started? My QNAP box got device
>> tree support somewhere around 3.5. So i would be tempted to see if
>> that has the issue, and then git bisect from there. Could you do the
>> same with you hardware?
>>
>>      Andrew
>
>Thanks for the reply.
>
>I'm afraid my only box is 'in production' and I'd be very reluctant to
>test older kernels there as I use fairly recent filesystem features. I
>have a feeling this bug has been around for a long time (or perhaps is
>even inherent to the way the mtdblock driver is written) and has only
>been brought out of its dormancy due to some more recent changes, as I
>remember my device momentarily freezing during flashing with Debian
>Wheezy (kernel 3.2) (although at that time it wouldn't result in a
>complete SATA reset). This could use an independent confirmation
>though.
>
>Best regards,
>Jan

I've been on backports  for some time. AFAIR the problems started with the change to dtb/dts.

I have a box that I can test with, but it has no console connected. Can steal the console connection from my "production" box but that is cumbersome.

GRTNX,
RobJE
--
Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse my brevity.