[RFT 0/3] usb: usb3503: Fix probing on Arndale board (missing phy)

Marek Szyprowski m.szyprowski at samsung.com
Wed Oct 7 23:23:57 PDT 2015

Hello,

On 2015-10-08 08:02, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:
> On 07.10.2015 23:26, Marek Szyprowski wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On 2015-10-07 02:30, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:
>>> Introduction
>>> ============
>>> This patchset tries to fix probing of usb3503 on Arndale board
>>> if the Samsung PHY driver is probed later (or built as a module).
>>>
>>> *The patchset was not tested on Arndale board.*
>>> I don't have that board. Please test it and say if the usb3503
>>> deferred probe
>>> works fine and the issue is solved.
>>>
>>> The patchset was tested on Odroid U3 board (which is different!)
>>> in a simulated environment. It is not sufficient testing.
>>>

>>> Difference
>>> ==========
>>> The usb3503 device driver can be used as a I2C device (on Odroid U3)
>>> or as a platform device connected through phy (on Arndale). In the second
>>> case the necessary phy reference has to be obtained and enabled.
>>>
>>> For some details please look also at thread [0][1].
>>>
>>> [0]
>>> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2015-June/348524.html
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2015-June/348875.html
>>>

>> I'm not sure that this is the correct approach. usb3503 chip is simply
>> connected
>> to Exynos USB2 phy, so it visible on the USB bus. The real driver that
>> controls USB2
>> PHY is Exynos EHCI driver and USB3503 should not mess around it.
> The ehci node (usb at 12110000) has one port configured and it takes one
> PHY reference (phy of id 1 - USB host). I can't see driver taking
> reference to HSIC0 or HSIC1 phys... Since I cannot diagnose the error I
> don't know what is really expected here.

It looks that EHCI in Exynos 5250 and 5420 still use old phy bindings. For
the reference, see Exynos4 dts and exynos4412-odroidu3.dts to check how
to enable
more than one USB port (Odroid U3 has both HSIC ports enabled).

>> In my opinion all that is needed in case of Arndale board is forcing
>> reset of
>> usb3503 chip after successful EHCI and USB2 PHY initialization (for some
>> reason
>> initialization of usb3503 chip must be done after usb host initialization).
>> However I have no idea which driver should trigger this reset. Right now
>> I didn't
>> find any good solution for additional control for devices which are on
>> autoprobed
>> bus like usb.
> The reset is done at the end of usb3503's probe. The question "why
> usb3503 has to be initialized after EHCI and USB PHY" is still valid...

I remember that I saw some code to reset HSIC device after phy power on
in case
of HSIC-connected modem chip, so maybe this is somehow common for HSIC chips
(which are some special case of 'embedded usb').

Best regards
--
Marek Szyprowski, PhD
Samsung R&D Institute Poland