ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM + ARM_APPENDED_DTB + custom boot-loader

Nicolas Pitre nicolas.pitre at linaro.org
Thu Nov 26 09:18:55 PST 2015

On Thu, 26 Nov 2015, Mason wrote:

> On 26/11/2015 17:53, Mason wrote:
>
> > I'm using an ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM kernel with an appended DTB.
> > I make a uImage out of this zImage+DTB.
> > On my board, U-Boot passes control to Linux, which boots correctly.
> >
> > But when I replace U-Boot with a custom boot-loader, Linux tries
> > to boot some kind of "Generic DT based system" rather than the DT
> > I appended.

If you have a custom bootloader, why are you using an appended DTB?

The appended DTB feature should be a last resort solution only when
there  is no way to make the bootloader behave correctly.

> The custom boot-loader was given an Image (not a uImage) and the DT
> was probably not appended to the Image.
>
> Question: can a DT be appended to an Image, or does it have to be
> appended to a zImage?

It works with zImage only.

> Can a zImage be uncompressed or compressed with a null compressor?

Please consider fixing your bootloader to provide a DT to the kernel the
official way.  Then you'll have the freedom to use a uImage, zImage or
Image as you see fit without contraptions such as a null compressor.

Nicolas