[PATH RESEND v2 03/10] tty: xuartps: Always enable transmitter in start_tx

Sören Brinkmann soren.brinkmann at xilinx.com
Fri Nov 20 09:29:31 PST 2015

On Fri, 2015-11-20 at 12:16PM -0500, Peter Hurley wrote:
> On 11/20/2015 11:58 AM, Sören Brinkmann wrote:

> >> I don't think that patch would fix any freeze problems, but restarting
> >> the transmitter even if the circ buffer is empty may be necessary to
> >> push out remaining data when the port is restarted after being stopped.
> >>
> >> IOW, something like
> >>
> >> 	if (uart_tx_stopped(port))
> >> 		return;

> >> 	if (uart_circ_empty(&port->state->xmit)
> >> 		return;
> >
> > Thanks! I'll change the patch accordingly.
> >

> >> Below is a (work-in-progress) serial driver validation test for flow
> >> control handling (it may need some tuning for slow line speeds).
> >> Usual caveats apply. Takes ~40secs @ 115200.
> >
> > I'll try to get that running on my system.
>
> The test below should pass too, but I know it won't because this xilinx
> driver isn't handling x_char at all.
>
> Aside: does this h/w have rts driver/cts receiver?

I would have to look up the details. But, IIRC, the HW has all the
modem/flow control signals. But on our SoCs those signals are only
available when routing the UART through the FPGA part, which makes it a
rather unlikely configuration since most platforms want the UART as a
low level debug port that should not depend on any FPGA bistreams.
Hence, I suspect it might just be a limitation of the driver.

	Sören