Freescale IMX6 active cooling

Eduardo Valentin edubezval at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 13:56:55 PST 2015

Hello,

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 12:00:05PM +0200, Catalin Crenguta wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 6:53 AM, Sean Cross <xobs at kosagi.com> wrote:
> > Perhaps the correct order of patches is:
> >
> > 1) Add generic thermal zone support
> > 2) Remove zone and cdev from imx_thermal
> > 3) Add cpufreq-cooling to imx6
> > 4) Add cpufreq-cooling to all other SoCs that support imx_thermal
> > 5) Add default generic thermal zone support to imx6qdl.dtsi
> In my opinion, I guess a patch series containing this would be good.

The recommendation is for you to use of-thermal, yes. In that way you
may benefit of describing your thermal hw specific data over DT. And you
can benefit of the existing cooling devices that have DT cooling
descriptors too, such as gpio-fan, and cpufreq-cooling, yes.

To use cpufreq-cooling, you may want to make sure your device works with
cpufreq-dt driver.

I would appreciate if you could clean up the IMX code to use the DT way
of describing thermal.

BR,