A problem about interrupt when booting a captured kernel

Marc Zyngier marc.zyngier at arm.com
Tue Nov 17 01:16:13 PST 2015

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 11:48:07 +0800
Yang Yingliang <yangyingliang at huawei.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On 2015/11/17 3:26, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> > On 13/11/15 10:09, Yang Yingliang wrote:
> >> Hi, Marc
> >>

> >>       The kexec will boot a captured kernel while the kernel panic. But
> >> it boots failed if the kernel panic in handler function of PPI. The
> >> reason is that the PPI has not been 'eoi', other interrupts can not be
> >> handled when booting  the captured kernel.
> >>
> >>       The kexec will call irq_eoi to end the irqs that have
> >> IRQD_IRQ_INPROGRESS flag. But PPIs don't have this flag, so it won't be
> >> ended.
> >>
> >>      Three ways to solve this problem we can think :
> >>      1. Is there a way to reset gic like its_reset ?
> >>      2. Can we add some flag for calling irq_eoi ?
> >>      3. Just 'eoi' all PPIs without checking flags in kexec.
> >>
> >>       Please give some advice.
> >
> > Good timing. Please see:
> >
> > http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2015-November/385383.html
> >
> > and let me know if that fixes things for you.
>
> I tried patch #1, deactivating interrupt can not fix the problem. But
> EOI the interrupt can.

You have noticed that this patch is for ARM, not arm64, right?

> I think the reason is GICC status is not cleared.
> So if it means, in hardware, we should clear the GICC status while
> deactivating the.

Writing to the EOI register or writing to the ACTIVE register have the
exact same result as far as kexec is concerned (unless your GIC is not
compliant with the architecture - in which case I can't help you).

Does applying the other patches help?

Thanks,

	M.
--