arm64 function_graph tracer panic with CONFIG_DYNAMIC_FTRACE

AKASHI Takahiro takahiro.akashi at linaro.org
Mon Nov 16 16:39:25 PST 2015

On 11/17/2015 12:48 AM, Lorenzo Pieralisi wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 01:45:19PM +0000, Catalin Marinas wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> There are some other functions which are called by cpu_suspend(), e.g. psci_system_suspend().
>>> Should we apply a similar fix to them?
>>
>> I think we need to apply the fix to any function which does not return.
>> In general, this should apply to all finishers passed to cpu_suspend()
>> and the subsequent callees.
>
> Yes, I prefer Steven's suggestion though it seems to me the issue
> is only related to the graph tracer and by pausing/resuming tracing
> across cpu_suspend() we would solve the problem without having to
> patch the finishers (and we can still trace them with the function
> tracer).

Aha, I didn't know this option. Yes, the issue is function_graph specific.
I confirmed that we could fix it by sandwiching __cpu_suspend_enter()
in cpu_suspend() between pause/unpause_graph_tracing().

> Takahiro, do you want me to send a patch or you update yours ?

I think you're the best person.
one question: do we need 'notrace' against __cpu_suspend_save()?

>> Do we need such annotation for cpu_die() as well? It probably doesn't
>> matter as the CPU is coming back on a completely different path anyway.
>
> I will test this too in the process.

Function_graph related info is per-task, and it means that, if cpu_die()
destroys idle thread, we don't have to care.
But testing is always crucial.

Thanks,
-Takahiro AKASHI