PCIe host controller behind IOMMU on ARM

Phil Edworthy phil.edworthy at renesas.com
Mon Nov 9 04:32:13 PST 2015

Hi Liviu, Will,

On 04 November 2015 15:19, Phil wrote:
> On 04 November 2015 15:02, Liviu wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 04, 2015 at 02:48:38PM +0000, Phil Edworthy wrote:
> > > Hi Liviu,

> > calls
> iommu_ops

> that

> get

> into
> > > Sure, though since this is bog standard Intel PCIe ethernet card which works
> > > fine when the IOMMU is effectively unused, I don’t think there is a problem
> > > with that.
> > >
> > > The driver for the PCIe controller sets up the IOMMU mapping ok when I
> > > do a test call to dma_alloc_coherent() in the controller's driver. i.e. when I
> > > do this, it ends up in arm_iommu_alloc_attrs(), which calls
> > > __iommu_alloc_buffer() and __alloc_iova().
> > >
> > > When an endpoint driver allocates and maps a dma coherent buffer it
> > > also needs to end up in arm_iommu_alloc_attrs(), but it doesn't.
> >
> > Why do you think that? Remember that the only thing attached to the IOMMU
> is
> > the
> > host controller. The endpoint is on the PCIe bus, which gets a different
> > translation
> > that the IOMMU knows nothing about. If it helps you to visualise it better, think
> > of the host controller as another IOMMU device. It's the ops of the host
> > controller
> > that should be invoked, not the IOMMU's.
> Ok, that makes sense. I'll have a think and poke it a bit more...
Somewhat related to this, since our PCIe controller HW is limited to
32-bit AXI address range, before trying to hook up the IOMMU I have
tried to limit the dma_mask for PCI cards to DMA_BIT_MASK(32). The
reason being that Linux uses a 1 to 1 mapping between PCI addresses
and cpu (phys) addresses when there isn't an IOMMU involved, so I
think that we need to limit the PCI address space used.

Since pci_setup_device() sets up dma_mask, I added a bus notifier in the
PCIe controller driver so I can change the mask, if needed, on the
BUS_NOTIFY_BOUND_DRIVER action.
However, I think there is the potential for card drivers to allocate and
map buffers before the bus notifier get called. Additionally, I've seen
drivers change their behaviour based on the success or failure of
dma_set_mask_and_coherent(dev, DMA_BIT_MASK(64)), so the
driver could, theoretically at least, operate in a way that is not
compatible with a more restricted dma_mask (though I can't think
of any way this would not work with hardware I've seen).

So, I think that using a bus notifier is the wrong way to go, but I don’t
know what other options I have. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help
Phil