i.MX6: Oops when unplugging a USB key

Joshua Clayton joshua.clayton at uniwest.com
Fri Nov 6 11:12:39 PST 2015

On Friday, November 06, 2015 05:32:30 PM Jean-Michel Hautbois wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I have an issue on my i.MX6 board I don't understand (kernel is a 4.2)...
> When I connect a USB key, and then disconnect it, it oopses and
> reboots (as I have panic on oops, and reboot on panic).
> Seems to be on the umount part...
> The USB is connected through a smsc95xx but I don't think this is related...
>
> Any idea is welcome :)

I have seen a similar issue intermitently on my imx6 based board.
I would also like to find a fix.

Specifically: unplugging usb storage occasionally causes an oops.

I'm guessing a race with use-after-free, but I haven't tracked it down.
In my environment it has been hard to reproduce, and I wasn't able to
grok anything useful in the trace.

Are you seeing this behavior consistently?

Perhaps the driver is freeing more than it should when a device is disconnected.

--
Joshua Clayton
Software Engineer