[GIT PULL] Allwinner drivers changes for 4.2

Maxime Ripard maxime.ripard at free-electrons.com
Thu May 28 13:18:17 PDT 2015

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 09:17:03PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Thursday 28 May 2015 21:08:13 Maxime Ripard wrote:
> > Hi Arnd,

> > > I've looked at the driver some more now, and tried to come up with
> > > a binding that I think would fit better with the existing mmio-sram
> > > one. Do you think you could get it to work like this?
> > >
> > > sram at 00000000 {
> > > 	// we bind to the first one here
> > > 	compatible = "allwinner,sun4i-a10-sram-controller", "mmio-sram";
> > > 	// first the SRAM, second the controller regs
> > > 	reg = <0x10000000 0x11000>, <0x01c00000 0x30>;
> >
> > Even if we consider the various contiguous SRAMs as a single one with
> > sections, that would cause some issues, because we have some other
> > SRAMs too, that are mapped at different addresses than those and still
> > controlled by the SRAM controller (C and D).
> >
> > Depending on the SoC, and the current state of the driver, that would
> > mean a various number of reg cells...
>
> Yes, good point.
>
> > > 	ranges = <0 0x10000000 0x11000>;
> >
> > With ranges being wrong for most of them.
> >
> > > 	#address-cells = <1>;
> > > 	#size-cells = <1>;
> > >
> > > 	otg-sram: otg-sram at 10000 {
> > > 		compatible = "allwinner,sun4i-a10-sram";
> > > 		reg = <0x10000 0x1000>;
> > > 	};
> >
> > And that would reserve a section of the SRAM, even if the device is
> > not used at all, which would mean that we would lose the benefit of
> > the mmio-sram genpool stuff.
>
> What it essentially means it that we would not list the section
> in the DT if it's not used. Removing it from DT would be a bit
> impractical, but if we use 'status="disabled"' (and ensure
> that actually works), it should be ok.

Ok.

> > > };
> > >
> > > &usb-otg {
> > > 	// allow otg driver to find the sram by phandle and
> > > 	// not need a table in the driver
> > > 	sram = <&sram-D>;
> >
> > That would be the best solution to reference the link between a device
> > and its SRAM though.
> >
> > What about some kind of a "hybrid" solution: have all the SRAM
> > declared as separate node to avoid the ranges and reg issues described
> > above, and use an allwinner,sram or whatever to reference the link,
> > without requiring the string used by the client you were finding odd?
>
> yes, sounds reasonable.
>
> > And then, the SRAM controller driver would simply parse this property
> > using the struct device when the client driver claim the SRAM?
>
> Ok. I'm a bit torn between using "allwinner,sram" and making it
> a standard "sram" property that could be used for a generic subsystem
> if other platforms need the same thing in the future.

I wouldn't be very comfortable adding a generic property when we have
only considered a single case, hence why I suggested allwinner,sram.

But if you prefer to simply use sram, I'm fine with it.

> > > One important advantage here would be that we later have the option
> > > of turning it into a subsystem with multiple sram controller drivers
> > > and have sram clients just ask for a node by referencing a phandle.
> >
> > I'd be all in favor of a subsystem, but most likely, when such a
> > subsystem will be introduced, we will not have considered all possible
> > cases, and would end up with different bindings anyway...
>
> We can to some degree accomodate earlier bindings that are "mostly"
> compatible by special-casing them. E.g. a generic subsystem could
> look for both "srams" and "allwinner,sram" if the first is not found.

That would work too.

> A related question is whether we want to pass arguments here, and how
> to link the controller to the sram nodes.

Do we need to?

When a client would try to claim an SRAM, we can parse the phandle,
find the SRAM name, and look into its own table for the matching name.

And since it's pretty much how pinctrl (can) work, we can extend that
mechanism in the future if we want to support other drivers with teh
same bindings.

Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons