runtime check for omap-aes bus access permission (was: Re: 3.13-rc3 (commit 7ce93f3) breaks Nokia N900 DT boot)

Tony Lindgren tony at atomide.com
Thu May 28 09:01:13 PDT 2015

* Pali Rohár <pali.rohar at gmail.com> [150528 00:39]:
> On Wednesday 11 February 2015 14:40:33 Nishanth Menon wrote:

> > > Tony, Nishanth, or somebody else... can you help with memory
> > > management? Or do you know some expert for arch/arm/mm/ code?
> >
> > Folks in linux-arm-kernel are probably the right people, I suppose.
> > Looping them in.
> >

> So pinging linux-arm-kernel again. Any idea how to handle that fault?

Here's what might work.. You could patch drivers/bus/omap_l3*.c
code to probe the devices after the omap_l3 driver interrupts
are enabled.

For failed device access you get an interrupt so you know to not
create the struct device entry for that device. For the working
devices you can do the struct device entry and let it probe.

So basically we could make the omap_l3* drivers managers for
the omap bus code instead of probing them with "simple-bus"
and omap_device_build_from_dt().

No need to have these device probe early, and they are all
internal devices so as long as we know the type and address
for each soc the omap_l3 drive code could probe them.

It seems that trying to do this early just makes things more
complicated and should be done in the bootloader instead of
kernel if needed early.

Regards,

Tony