Question on why specific ELF relocations are supported for module loader

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Fri May 22 02:27:08 PDT 2015

Please wrap your message at or before column 72, so I don't have to do that
work for you in order to compose my reply.

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 12:22:38AM -0700, Yifan Lu wrote:
> Is it even standards adherent that static relocation is used in an
> executable (rather than an object file)?

Which executable are you referring to?  The only executable is the
kernel binary itself, which is a fully-linked executable (which is
converted to a binary image.)  Modules are not executables, they
are (as Ard correctly pointed out) ELF objects.

You can't execute a module on its own: it requires to be linked to
its kernel in order to become an executable object.

--
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line: currently at 10.5Mbps down 400kbps up
according to speedtest.net.