[PATCH v5 00/11] drivers: PL011: add ARM SBSA Generic UART support
graeme.gregory at linaro.org
Thu May 21 10:45:03 PDT 2015
On 21 May 2015 18:19:18 BST, Mark Langsdorf <mlangsdo at redhat.com> wrote:
>On 05/21/2015 11:26 AM, Andre Przywara wrote:
>> This is the fifth revision of the SBSA UART support series, based on
>> the current tty-next branch.
>> Beside some minor formatting issues fixed (thanks ot Jakub for
>> noticing) the SBSA UART set_termios() function has been reworked.
>> We now completely ignore the old value, instead we filter the new
>> setting to match the SBSA UART's fixed parameters for word size,
>> parity, stop bits and so on.
>> This should also address the issues people have seen with ACPI on
>> Fedora systems.
>> Mark, Naresh, Graeme: can you confirm that this version works for
>> you? If needed I can bake a follow-up patch on top of v4.
>Works for me, thanks.
>Tested-by: Mark Langsdorf <mlangsdo at redhat.com>
I am on holiday so can't retest but Mark is using same setup as me so please proceed
>> The ARM Server Base System Architecture document describes a
>> generic UART which is a subset of the ARM PL011 UART.
>> It lacks DMA support, baud rate control and modem status line
>> control, among other things.
>> The idea is to move the UART initialization and setup into the
>> firmware (which does this job today already) and let the kernel just
>> use the UART for sending and receiving characters.
>> This patchset integrates support for this UART subset into the
>> existing PL011 driver - basically by refactoring some
>> functions and providing a new uart_ops structure for it. It also has
>> a separate probe function to be not dependent on AMBA/PrimeCell.
>> It provides a device tree and an ACPI binding.
>> Beside the obvious effect of code sharing reusing most of the PL011
>> code has the advantage of not introducing another serial device
>> prefix, so it can go with ttyAMA, which seems to be pretty common.
>> As changing the baudrate and other communication parameters is not
>> specified for the SBSA UART, any userland attempt will be denied by
>> the kernel. The device-tree provided fixed baud rate will be
>> reported, so stty for instance prints the right value.
>> This series is based on Greg's tty-next branch, a git repo can
>> be found at  (branch sbsa-uart/v5).
>> Patch 1/11 contains a bug fix which applies to the PL011 part also,
>> it should be considered regardless of the rest of the series.
>> According to Russell this is still racy, but still better than the
>> current solution.
>> Patch 2-7 refactor some PL011 functions by splitting them up into
>> smaller pieces, so that most of the code can be reused later by the
>> SBSA part.
>> Patch 8 and 9 introduce two new properties for the vendor structure,
>> this is for SBSA functionality which cannot be controlled by
>> separate uart_ops members only.
>> Patch 10 then finally drops in the SBSA specific code, by providing
>> a new uart_ops, vendor struct and probe function for it. Also the new
>> device tree binding is documented.
>> Patch 11 adds the necessary ACPI boilerplate.
>> For testing you should be able to take any hardware which has a PL011
>> and change the DT to use a "arm,sbsa-uart" compatible string and the
>> baud rate with the "current-speed" property.
>> Of course testing with a real SBSA Generic UART is welcomed - as well
>> as regression testing with any PL011 implementation.
>> I tested this on a FastModel, a Juno and a Midway machine, both in
>> PL011 and in (DT-emulated) SBSA mode.
>> Tested-by: Robert Richter <rrichter at cavium.com>
>> Tested-by: Lorenzo Pieralisi <lorenzo.pieralisi at arm.com>
>> Tested-by: Hanjun Guo <hanjun.guo at linaro.org>
>> v4 .. v5:
>> - fixed checkpatch --strict complaints
>> - rework set_termios:
>> - disallow changes or UART fixed communication parameters
>> - ignore old value to fix an issue with Fedora on ACPI
>> v3 .. v4:
>> - fixed rebase artifact
>> - moved memory allocation out of pl011_allocate_port() function
>> (and consequently renamed that to pl011_find_free_port)
>> - added ACPI driver binding
>> v2 .. v3:
>> - rebased on top of tty-next and Dave's latest PL011 rework
>> - fixed module build
>> - removed redundant =NULL members in sbsa_uart_ops
>> v1 .. v2:
>> - rebased on top of 4.0-rc1 and Dave's newest PL011 fix 
>> - added mandatory current-speed property and report that to userland
>>  ARM-DEN-0029 Server Base System Architecture, available (click-
>> thru...) from http://infocenter.arm.com
>>  http://www.linux-arm.org/git?p=linux-ap.git
>> Andre Przywara (10):
>> drivers: PL011: avoid potential unregister_driver call
>> drivers: PL011: refactor pl011_startup()
>> drivers: PL011: refactor pl011_shutdown()
>> drivers: PL011: refactor pl011_set_termios()
>> drivers: PL011: refactor pl011_probe()
>> drivers: PL011: replace UART_MIS reading with _RIS & _IMSC
>> drivers: PL011: move cts_event workaround into separate function
>> drivers: PL011: allow avoiding UART enabling/disabling
>> drivers: PL011: allow to supply fixed option string
>> drivers: PL011: add support for the ARM SBSA generic UART
>> Graeme Gregory (1):
>> drivers: PL011: add ACPI probing for SBSA UART
>> .../devicetree/bindings/serial/arm_sbsa_uart.txt | 10 +
>> drivers/tty/serial/amba-pl011.c | 550
>> 2 files changed, 412 insertions(+), 148 deletions(-)
>> create mode 100644
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
More information about the linux-arm-kernel