schedule_timeout sleeps too long after dividing CPU frequency

Mason slash.tmp at free.fr
Wed May 13 09:51:04 PDT 2015

On 12/05/2015 17:50, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 05:14:15PM +0200, Mason wrote:
>> This ties in to another thread I started in LAKML:
>> ("High-resolution timers not supported when using smp_twd on Cortex A9")
>>
>> $ git show 5388a6b2 arch/arm/kernel/smp_twd.c
>> commit 5388a6b266e9c3357353332ba0cd5549082887f1
>> Author: Russell King <rmk+kernel at arm.linux.org.uk>
>> Date:   Mon Jul 26 13:19:43 2010 +0100
>>
>>     ARM: SMP: Always enable clock event broadcast support
>>
>>     The TWD local timers are unable to wake up the CPU when it is placed
>>     into a low power mode, eg. C3.  Therefore, we need to adapt things
>>     such that the TWD code can cope with this.
>>
>>     We do this by always providing a broadcast tick function, and marking
>>     the fact that the TWD local timer will stop in low power modes.  This
>>     means that when the CPU is placed into a low power mode, the core
>>     timer code marks this fact, and allows an IPI to be given to the core.
>>
>> This mentions a "broadcast tick function" (of which I know nothing).
>> Is this what you're referring to?
>
> No.  This has nothing to do with low power modes.
>
> How this works depends on how your kernel is configured, but essentially
> it's something like this:
>
> * The CPU which will be idling sets its local timer to wake up after N
>   counter cycles, where N is calculated from the timer frequency.
>
> * When the local timer fires, the CPU is kicked out of the idle loop, and
>   it reads the current system time.  If the current system time indicates
>   that the software timer set in schedule_timeout() has fired, that
>   software timer fires.
>
> If the local timer changes frequency without the idling CPU being woken
> up, then the problem you're referring to can happen.
>
> As you're not giving much information about your system (including
> indicating where we might see some source code) we're not able to help
> more than providing above descriptions.  Maybe if you posted your
> patches so far to support the project you're working on, we could
> provide better answers.

$ git diff v3.14.41 HEAD >tango.patch && xz tango.patch

I don't understand the IRQ-related part yet
( arch/arm/mach-tangox/irq.c and drivers/irqchip/irq-gic.c )

If anyone spots the problem, that would make my day.

I tested with a loadable module whose init function is

static int __init ts_init(void)
{
	long res;
	printk("ABOUT TO SLEEP\n");