next-20150511 / omap2-mcspi: regression for sdp4430 boot

Michael Welling mwelling at ieee.org
Mon May 11 11:54:51 PDT 2015

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 01:27:08PM -0500, Nishanth Menon wrote:
> On 05/11/2015 12:07 PM, Michael Welling wrote:
> > On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 11:50:19AM -0500, Nishanth Menon wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> SDP4430 uses a SPI based network chip ks8851.
> >>
> >> next-20150508:
> >> https://github.com/nmenon/kernel-test-logs/blob/next-20150508/omap2plus_defconfig/sdp4430.txt
> >>
> >> However, next-20150511:
> >> https://github.com/nmenon/kernel-test-logs/blob/next-20150511/omap2plus_defconfig/sdp4430.txt
> >>

> > I will look into this but it is going to be difficult to debug with access to the hardware.
> > This is what I get for changing a driver that effects so many SoCs.
> >

> Let me know if there is any test patch you'd want me to run. The board
> is on a remote "board farm" which most of TI folks have access to as
> well.. So, if you need anything run, just send out a debug patch OR a
> potential fix and we can help try it out and provide logs back for
> your debug.

So it appears that I have broken the native chip select support.

I have a serial flash at spi0cs0 and if I use the GPIO for chip select
it detects:
m25p80 spi1.0: n25q128a13 (16384 Kbytes)

If I use the native chip select it does not:
m25p80 spi1.0: unrecognized JEDEC id bytes: ff, ff, ff

This allows me to find the issue and provide a follow up patch.
I will provide it when I have it ready to see if it fixes your issue.

If I cannot find a fix, we may have to revert these changes.