Bulid regression with VDSO enabled

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Sat May 9 02:32:37 PDT 2015

On Fri, May 08, 2015 at 06:08:11PM +0200, Stefan Agner wrote:
> However, so far LD=${CROSS_COMPILE}ld.bfc seems to work for other build
> objects, at least those do not have this note. For instance time.o does
> not return anything:
>
> $ readelf -n arch/arm/kernel/time.o
>
> So it seems to be a vdso.so.raw specific problem not using the specified
> linker...?

Remember that most of the kernel source is about building the kernel,
where we explicitly call the linker directly.

This is about building a user visible object, and we go through the
compiler front end for that.

My only worry is if we were to pick up (eg) libgcc.so* as a dependency,
but that's highly unlikely to go unnoticed if it were to happen, as my
cross-toolchain doesn't have libgcc.so available. ;)

Given that there's gold out there which doesn't work for the VDSO, I
think the solution Nathan has come up with in his reply to your email
is the best resolution to this.

--
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line: currently at 10.5Mbps down 400kbps up
according to speedtest.net.