imx6 sata cdrom driver issue

Jonathan Bagg jbagg at lenbrook.com
Fri May 8 12:45:56 PDT 2015

On 15-05-05 06:48 AM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Monday 04 May 2015 17:03:35 Jonathan Bagg wrote:

>>> Very strange, I'm sure something went wrong there and either the SATA
>>> host or the CDROM driver does not work well with a port multiplier.
>>>
>>> Is there a way for you to reproduce the problem without the multiplier?

>>> Can you find out if there is a port multiplier in that machine?
>> I've tried with and without a multiplier.  I have a port multiplier on a
>> development board that I can connect between the CDROM and Sabre SATA
>> port or connect the CDROM directly to the Sabre SATA port .
>>> Does it list the sda device in /proc/partitions, or just the /dev/sr0?
>> sda is only listed in /proc/partitions if I connect up a HDD.  The issue
>> where the CDROM filesystem mounting as sda1 has never reproduced.
>>
>> I've also discovered, and it is 100% reproducible, that with the HDD and
>> CDROM connected using the port multiplier, the kernel never lists the
>> partition on the HDD.  If I connect the HDD directly to the Sabre or
>> connect the HDD to the Sabre using the multiplier without the CDROM,
>> /dev/sda1 will exist.
> Ok, interesting. Does the same happen if you connect that port
> multiplier to a PC?
I don't think the host sata port on the PC I tried supported
multipliers.  I tried the port multiplier on a imx53 Quick Start Board
and it worked fine.  We've also discovered that cdparanoia (audio CD
ripper) fails to recognize the CDROM drive 100% of the time on imx6 with
or without the port multiplier.  On the imx53 Quick Start Board, running
the same kernel, just a different device tree, cdparanoia works great
with and without the port multiplier. If you apply the attached patch to
enable sata debug output, the imx6 output is different than the imx53's....

cdparanoia -vsQ
dmesg | grep CDB

imx53

ata_scsi_dump_cdb: CDB (1:0,0,-571258880) 00 00 4a 01 00 00 10 00 00
CDB rbuf: [4a 01 00 00 10 00 00 00 08]
CDB rbuf: 00000000: 00 06 04 56 00 02 00 00

imx6 - third line is always zeros

ata_scsi_dump_cdb: CDB (1:0,0,-1122908160) 00 00 4a 01 00 00 10 00 00
CDB rbuf: [4a 01 00 00 10 00 00 00 08]
CDB rbuf: 00000000: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

We also tried kernel versions 3.12, 3.14, 3.19 and most recent 4.x, all
are effected.  imx6 sata support didn't exists in 3.10, so we couldn't
go further back.

https://community.freescale.com/message/514169#514169

--
Jonathan Bagg