Master-aware devices and sideband ID data

Will Deacon will.deacon at arm.com
Fri May 8 08:49:03 PDT 2015

Hi Stuart,

On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 06:49:32PM +0100, Stuart Yoder wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 10:50 AM, Mark Rutland <mark.rutland at arm.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > For some devices, identification of particular masters is critical to
> > their operation (e.g. IOMMUs, MSI controllers). The identity of masters
> > is determined from sideband signals on the bus, and it may or may not be
> > possible to probe and/or configure this information. Worse still, these
> > information may be rewritten by intermediate buses, so the
> > information for a given master may differ at different points in the bus
> > hierarchy.
> >
> > We currently describe this master information for devices attached to
> > IOMMUs, with a master ID being encoded in the iommu-cells. However this
> > only covers the ID between the master and its IOMMU(s), and we don't
> > currently have a mechanism to describe the master IDs as they are seen
> > by devices beyond the IOMMU(s),
>
> Is there a specific case you've run across where conveying this additional
> master info would be needed,  or are you just thinking through how to fully
> describe hardware?

It's a combination of a few things:

  1. We are aware of hardware that has ID transformations
  2. ACPI allows this to be described in IORT
  3. We need to be general enough to encompass current and future designs
     in the device-tree binding.

> Are there really cases out there were there is a hardwired hardware
> relationship between RID and SID?

Yes, I believe it's actually the common case (at least, from Linux's
perspective).

> > or in the absence of any IOMMU(s).
> >
> > The following are example of master IDs:
> > * PCIe Requester IDs (RIDs) (bus:device.function AKA BDF)
> > * SMMU Stream IDs (SIDs)
> > * GICv3 ITS Device IDs (DIDs)
> >
> > In the case of a system with PCIe, SMMU and GICv3, the master IDs are
> > rewritten in a chain of RID=>SID=>DID, as in the following diagram:
> >
> > +-------------+
> > | PCIe master |
> > +-------------+
> >     || Requester ID (RID)
> >     || Probeable from RC.
> >     \/
> > +-------------------+
> > | PCIe Root Complex |
> > +-------------------+
> >     || SMMU Stream ID (SID)
> >     || Derived from RID, static non-probeable mapping.
>
> The FSL LS2085A SoC has an actual RID->SID mapping table in the PCI
> controller, but it is not static in the sense of fixed in hardware or
> firmware.  It's
> a programmable mapping table, and we envision Linux programming this table.

Ok, so I assume you're not planning to use ACPI with this system?

Also, we can't just program this table willy-nilly, as I'm sure you're
aware. For example, updating a the SMRs in a live SMMU is a big no-no,
so although Linux may initialise the table, it can only be safely changed
at device init/teardown time, surely?

> >     \/
> > +--------------+
> > | SMMU (IOMMU) |
> > +--------------+
> >     || ITS Device ID (DID)
> >     || Derived from SID, static non-probeable mapping.
> >     \/
>
> Is this even architecturally possible on ARM?  Can the SMMU transform stream
> IDs into some different number?

>From the OS perspective, this is what it looks like. What we'd actually
have in hardware is multiple SMMUs sharing an ITS, so there would need
to be something prepending an SMMU ID onto the StreamID to construct a
device ID, otherwise you'd have devices inexplicably sharing MSIs.

> > However, this conflicts/overlaps with existing bindings (at least iommus
> > and msi-parent), and I'm not sure how to reconcile them. Am I missing a
> > neat way of describing this that works with the existing bindings?
> >
> > It's also not clear to me if it's sufficient to have a generic
> > "master-ids" property (with the relevant type being implicit from
> > context), or if each type of ID needs each type of ID (RID, SID, DID,
> > etc) needs its own.
> >
> > Which other devices out there which require side-band master
> > information, and what do they require?
>
> For us, at least, the  master-id-map cannot be a static property.
> Our PCI controller's DID->SID mapping table is programmable
> and we won't know how to program it until Linux is running.  A PCI
> SRIOV card may have virtual functions that appear as hot-plugged
> devices and there is no way that boot firmware would have the knowledge
> to have set that table up ahead of time.
>
> What we do need is some way to have boot firmware convey to
> the OS what SIDs are available to be used in the DID->SID
> table.   We have a very limited number of SIDs available and boot
> firmware may need to convey to Linux that for example-- PCI controller #2
> has only 8 SIDs available for DID->SID mappings.
>
> We had invented a property called "available-stream-ids" for some
> proof of concept work, but perhaps the master-id-map property could
> be used to convey available stream IDs by using a child-id-length
> of 0.  So to convey that stream IDs 5,6,7,8 are available:
>
>   PCI: pci at af000000 {
>          /* Requester ID of PCIe endpoints, implicit at runtime */
>          master-id-cells = <1>;
>
>          /* RIDS idmapped to SIDS @ SMMU */
>          master-id-map = <0 0 &SMMU 5
>                                     0 0 &SMMU 6
>                                     0 0 &SMMU 7
>                                     0 0 &SMMU 8>;
>   };
>
> I'm not sure the above would conflict with the existing IOMMU
> binding, but would seem to be an extension of it.
>
> If you have a simple master with 2 stream IDS do this:          ...
>           iommus = <&{/smmu} 23>, <&{/smmu} 24>;
>
> If you have a static DID->SID mapping to convey, use the map as
> you proposed:
>          master-id-cells = <1>;
>          master-id-map = <0 0x10000 &SMMU 0>;;
>
> If your DID->SID is not static, but you need to convey the SIDs that are
> available to this bus:
>          master-id-cells = <1>;
>          master-id-map = <0 0 &SMMU 23
>                                     0 0 &SMMU 24>;

We need to be careful with terminology here. Can we use RID to mean the PCI
requester ID and DID to mean the GIC ITS device ID?

> I am less sure about how to deal with expressing the relationship of masters to
> the GIC ITS, but is there really a problem there?

Well we need to know the DID at the ITS for an arbitrary device, which is
constructed by performing the RID->SID and SID->DID transformations.

Mark probably has more feedback on the binding side of things.

Will