Bulid regression with VDSO enabled

Nathan Lynch Nathan_Lynch at mentor.com
Fri May 8 08:27:52 PDT 2015

On 05/08/2015 06:13 AM, Stefan Agner wrote:
> On 2015-05-01 17:22, Nathan Lynch wrote:

>>> FWIW, I just looked into it a bit more myself, however don't understand
>>> what is wrong with that toolchain so far. The generated linker command
>>> looks good for both toolchains, it is really that one linker creates the
>>> problem with the very same arguments while the other does not.
>>>
>>> The toolchain generated by OpenEmbedded is probably quite different from
>>> the official releases. There are a bunch of configurations which are
>>> tweaked depending on the local OE configuration as well:
>>> https://github.com/openembedded/oe-core/blob/master/meta/recipes-devtools/gcc/gcc-configure-common.inc
>>
>> A relevant difference would seem to be that ld defaults to gold for this
>> toolchain:
>>
>> $ arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-ld --version
>> GNU gold (GNU Binutils 2.24) 1.11
>>
>> I've not been explicitly testing the vdso code with gold until now,
>> sorry.  Is gold a "supported" linker for the ARM kernel these days?  If
>> I disable CONFIG_VDSO I encounter this during final link:
>>
>>   LD      init/built-in.o
>> arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-ld: --pic-veneer: unknown option
>> arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-ld: use the --help option for usage information
>>

>> I've managed to recreate this locally now, and I'll see what can be
>> done.  Commit 378ed3ccd2a0 "x86, vdso: Make the vdso linker script
>> compatible with Gold" looks relevant.
>
> This error does not look like the error I have:

I can see I perhaps phrased that badly; when I said I can recreate "this"
I meant I could recreate the issue you reported.  I was intending to
point out that even if the vdso build with gold is fixed or worked
around, the kernel still won't link because gold doesn't implement
--pic-veneer.

> Also, I used the BFD linker by adding LD=${CROSS_COMPILE}ld.bfd to the
> build command. Interestingly thought, I had the same issue when using
> gold linker...

When I try this, ld.gold is used regardless.

You can tell by doing and checking for a NT_GNU_GOLD_VERSION note:

$ readelf -n arch/arm/vdso/vdso.so.raw

Displaying notes found at file offset 0x000001bc with length 0x00000040:
  Owner                 Data size       Description
  GNU                  0x00000009       NT_GNU_GOLD_VERSION (gold version)
  GNU                  0x00000014       NT_GNU_BUILD_ID (unique build ID bitstring)
    Build ID: f025409550acb7f955c61d95691291da078e6688