dma_alloc_coherent versus streaming DMA, neither works satisfactory

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Fri May 8 05:17:25 PDT 2015

On 08-05-15 13:10, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> Well, I do find the language used rather loose.  The term "coherent" is
> well understood, but when the documentation mixes it with "consistent"
> it becomes less clear whether the two terms mean the same thing or
> something different.

I re-read https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/DMA-API.txt with this in mind.

"Part Ia" starts with "dma_alloc_coherent" and (friends) but then talks about
"consistent" memory throughout the whole part. I think a
s/consistent/coherent/g in this part will make things a lot clearer for everyone.

Shall I submit a patch for that?

Part Ib continues, but switches to using the word "coherent" instead.

Kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert

TOPIC Embedded Products