dma_alloc_coherent versus streaming DMA, neither works satisfactory

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Thu May 7 22:55:26 PDT 2015

On 07-05-15 16:30, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 04:08:54PM +0200, Mike Looijmans wrote:
>> I read the rest of the thread, apparently it was never integrated.
>>
>> The patch for "non-consistent" is a BUG FIX, not some feature request or so.
>> I was already wondering why my driver had to kalloc pages to get proper
>> caching on it.
>
> I disagree.
>
>>  From https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/DMA-attributes.txt:
>> """
>> DMA_ATTR_NON_CONSISTENT ... lets the platform to choose to return either
>> consistent or non-consistent memory as it sees fit.  By using this API,
>> you are guaranteeing to the platform that you have all the correct and
>> necessary sync points for this memory in the driver.
>> """
>
> DMA attributes are something that came in _after_ the DMA API had been
> around for many years.  It's a "new feature" that was added to an
> existing subsystem, and because there have been no need for it to be
> implemented on ARM, the new feature was never implemented.
>
> More than that, the vast majority of ARM hardware can't provide this
> kind of memory, and there are _no_ kernel APIs to ensure that if

By "non-coherent" memory I thought it meant the same kind of memory that
kalloc would return. But from your answer it seems I am mistaken and
this is something different?

> cacheable memory were to be returned, they could issue the necessary
> cache flushes to ensure that the device could see the data.

Then what do the dma_sync_... methods do?

It has been my understanding that one can use dma_map... and dma_sync...
methods to make memory ranges visible to the device.

Using dma_sync on coherent memory is just a waste of resources. So how
do i allocate memory that I'm supposed to use with dma_sync?

--
Mike Looijmans