[Discussion] how to implement external power down for ARM

Shannon Zhao zhaoshenglong at huawei.com
Thu May 7 06:02:02 PDT 2015

On 2015/5/7 20:34, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 7 May 2015 at 13:18, Shannon Zhao <zhaoshenglong at huawei.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what you mean by this -- QEMU supports 'reset this
>>> VM' at the machine emulation level, so if we can tell the guest
>>> to reboot then it should as part of this process issue the
>>> PSCI SYSTEM_RESET command, which QEMU/KVM will then handle
>>> to do a reset of the VM.
>
>> Yes, QEMU supports reset, but doesn't support (gracefully) reboot.
>
> Isn't that what this ACPI work is about? Tell the guest to initiate
> a graceful reboot, and then the guest will tell QEMU to reboot
> the emulated h/w when it's ready.

The ACPI only tells guest to poweroff not reboot. I checked this on x86.
When using libvirt to start a VM, libvirt pass "-no-shutdown" to QEMU
that makes sure the QEMU process will not disappear when guest
poweroffs. When executing "virsh reboot VMname", libvirt send
"system_powerdown" to QEMU and when guest poweroffs libvirt send
"system_reset" to QEMU to restart VM.

So there is not a single external reboot command for ACPI.

>> And
>> reset doesn't depends on the guest, it just restart VM forcefully.
>> Reboot likes poweroff and start, while reset likes destroy and start.
>
> I (and QEMU) think there is no visible difference between
> poweroff-and-restart and destroy-recreate-and-restart...

It is different to guest.

--
Shannon