High-resolution timers not supported when using smp_twd on Cortex A9

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Wed May 6 04:19:49 PDT 2015

On Mon, May 04, 2015 at 10:02:40AM +0200, Mason wrote:
> (The system's clocksource is a 27 MHz 32-bit counter.)
>
> If I remove the CLOCK_EVT_FEAT_C3STOP flag, then hrtimers are enabled,
> but I assume I would then run into problems in low-power mode, going by
> Russell's commit message.

It seems that you've done the research, and judging from the question
you ask below, you already know the answer:

> Do I have to use a platform-specific clockevent source if I want
> high-resolution timers on the system?

Yes - because the TWD stops in low power modes, which makes it unsuitable
as a high-resolution timer.  These kinds of issues are annoying, but it's
the way things are.

--
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line: currently at 10.5Mbps down 400kbps up
according to speedtest.net.