Bulid regression with VDSO enabled

Nathan Lynch Nathan_Lynch at mentor.com
Fri May 1 08:22:30 PDT 2015

On 04/30/2015 10:58 AM, Stefan Agner wrote:
> On 2015-04-30 17:48, Nathan Lynch wrote:

>>> The toolchain is built by the OpenEmbedded build system. I used the
>>> Angstrom distribution, which uses the Linaro Layer (daisy branch) which
>>> built that toolchain:
>>> https://git.linaro.org/openembedded/meta-linaro.git/shortlog/refs/heads/daisy
>>>
>>> I tried the official release and I also could not reproduce the issue,
>>> so it seems to be toolchain related...?
>>
>> Okay thanks, that gives me more to go on.  I probably won't be able to
>> devote more time to this today, but hopefully tomorrow.
>
> FWIW, I just looked into it a bit more myself, however don't understand
> what is wrong with that toolchain so far. The generated linker command
> looks good for both toolchains, it is really that one linker creates the
> problem with the very same arguments while the other does not.
>
> The toolchain generated by OpenEmbedded is probably quite different from
> the official releases. There are a bunch of configurations which are
> tweaked depending on the local OE configuration as well:
> https://github.com/openembedded/oe-core/blob/master/meta/recipes-devtools/gcc/gcc-configure-common.inc

A relevant difference would seem to be that ld defaults to gold for this
toolchain:

$ arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-ld --version
GNU gold (GNU Binutils 2.24) 1.11

I've not been explicitly testing the vdso code with gold until now,
sorry.  Is gold a "supported" linker for the ARM kernel these days?  If
I disable CONFIG_VDSO I encounter this during final link:

  LD      init/built-in.o
arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-ld: --pic-veneer: unknown option
arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-ld: use the --help option for usage information

I've managed to recreate this locally now, and I'll see what can be
done.  Commit 378ed3ccd2a0 "x86, vdso: Make the vdso linker script
compatible with Gold" looks relevant.