[RFC] pinmux: group and function definitions in the device tree

Ludovic Desroches ludovic.desroches at atmel.com
Mon Mar 23 07:00:20 PDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 06:29:11PM +0800, Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD wrote:

> > On Mar 23, 2015, at 6:09 PM, Sascha Hauer <s.hauer at pengutronix.de> wrote:

> >> I can't say it won't work, it could work in some cases. My fear is to
> >> have some support cases because of this. It seems easy to spot this kind
> >> of issue but experience tell us that we can loose time for this kind of
> >> "stupid" error.
> >
> > Hm, the software (dts in this case) developer will only mix signals of
> > different iosets when he is forced to by the board designer. It's the
> > board designer that has made this mistake, the software developer will
> > only try to make it work anyway. I doubt that the board designer will
> > design the board based on the possibilities shown in the dts files.

> >> Yes, I can still use it. What I mean is there is no generic helper at the
> >> moment to get both pinmux (excepting using the function property) and
> >> pinconf information. Is it planned to have something generic for the
> >> pinmux property?
> >
> > Not yet, but it would be a good idea to add something generic.
> >
> >> I see MTK_GET_PIN_NO and MTK_GET_PIN_FUNC macros, on my side,
> >> I think it will feet my needs. Maybe we only need to remove the MTK
> >> prefix and put these macros in another header.
> >>
> >> In the mediatek driver, I have also noticed that we have a group for
> >> each pin. I have the feeling that the concept of groups disappear, isn't
> >> it?
> >
> > This may be because the concept of groups doesn't most hardware.
> > There really is hardware out there which can only handle the pins in
> > groups (that is, a single mux switches multiple pins), but this hardware
> > is not very common. Most hardware can indeed control every pin
> > indivually. In this situation some drivers are consequent and make a
> > group out of each pin which renders the group concept moot. Other
> > drivers just interpret each device node as pin group which creates
> > artificial groups which do not exist in hardware.
>
> This is what we do on the current pinctrl-at91

It is a bit different with pinctrl-at91, we don't have npins groups.
Even if there is no hardware reality behind we have groups of pins.

> and as we do not see the specific of this new IP for at91 it’s difficult to see
> if we can use generic or not.

We can use the generic pinconf for sure. My main concern were the
concepts of groups and functions. But it seems, now, we can't get rid of these
concepts.

I am trying to figure out what we loose (or not) if using a mapping such as
'a pin = a group'. For example I am thinking about sysfs, it is probably
more human readable to have some groups with a name related to the
device they are connected as done in pinctrl-at91.