XIP_KERNEL and !ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Sun Mar 22 18:37:05 PDT 2015

Hi Chris,

On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 4:39 PM, Chris Brandt <Chris.Brandt at renesas.com> wrote:
>> However, SMP_ON_UP is incompatible with XIP_KERNEL (as already listed in its dependencies) and building with SMP=y without SMP_ON_UP, and trying to run on UP hardware will definitely fail.
>
> So, it sounds like you are saying XIP_KERNEL and SMP is not going to happen.

I think you misunderstood: XIP_KERNEL=y and SMP=y should work on an SMP
system, XIP_KERNEL=y and SMP=n should work on a uniprocessor system.

The problem is SMP_ON_UP (run SMP=y kernel on a uniprocessor system).
You just can't have one kernel that works on both.

As Arnd mentioned, making XIP_KERNEL depend on !SMP_ON_UP sounds
like the way to go.

BTW, since you're asking about SMP=y, I guess you're not just interested in
running XIP_KERNEL=y on r7s72100, which is UP?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds