[RFC/RFT PATCH 0/3] arm64: KVM: work around incoherency with uncached guest mappings

Mario Smarduch m.smarduch at samsung.com
Mon Mar 9 08:33:13 PDT 2015

On 03/09/2015 07:26 AM, Andrew Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 01:08:29PM -0800, Mario Smarduch wrote:

>>> I do not oppose doing cache management in QEMU for bus master DMA
>>> (though if the solution you outlined below works it would be great).

>>> The same can happen on x86 though, even if it's rarer.  You still need a
>>> barrier between stores and loads.

>>> That sounds like a plan for device assignment.  But it still would not
>>> solve the problem of the MMIO framebuffer, right?

>>> Okay, it's good to rule that out.  One less thing to think about. :)
>>> Same for _DSD.

>>> Yes, that's a way to put it.

>>> Nothing for now; other architectures simply do not have the issue.
>>>
>>> As long as it's just VGA, we can quirk it.  There's just a couple
>>> vendor/device IDs to catch, and the guest can then use a cacheable mapping.
>>>
>>> For a more generic solution, the API would be madvise(MADV_DONTCACHE).
>>> It would be easy for QEMU to use it, but I am not too optimistic about
>>> convincing the mm folks about it.  We can try.
>
> I forgot to list this one in my summary of approaches[*]. This is a
> nice, clean approach. Avoids getting cache maintenance into everything.
> However, besides the difficulty to get it past mm people, it reduces
> performance for any userspace-userspace uses/sharing of the memory.
> userspace-guest requires cache maintenance, but nothing else. Maybe
> that's not an important concern for the few emulated devices that need
> it though.
>

>> Interested to see the outcome.
>>
>> I was thinking of a very basic memory driver that can provide
>> an uncached memslot to QEMU - in mmap() file operation
>> apply pgprot_uncached to allocated pages, lock them, flush TLB
>> call remap_pfn_range().
>
> I guess this is the same as the madvise approach, but with a driver.
> KVM could take this approach itself when memslots are added/updated
> with the INCOHERENT flag. Maybe worth some experimental patches to
> find out?

I would work on this but I'm tied up for next 3 weeks.
If anyone is interested I can provide base code, I used
it for memory passthrough although testing may be time consuming.
I think the hurdle here is the kernel doesn't map these
for any reason like page migration, locking pages should
tell kernel don't touch. madvise() is the  desired solution
but I suspect it might take a while to get in.

> I'm still thinking about experimenting with the ARM private syscalls
> next though.

Hope it succeeds.