tlbi va, vaa vs. val, vaal

Mario Smarduch m.smarduch at samsung.com
Mon Mar 2 11:26:26 PST 2015

On 03/02/2015 08:23 AM, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 01:15:57PM -0800, Mario Smarduch wrote:

>>> Yeah, Catalin and I discussed improving the kernel support for this,
>>> but it requires some changes to the generic mmu_gather code so that we
>>> can distinguish the leaf cases. I'd also like to see that done in a way
>>> that takes into account different granule sizes (we currently iterate
>>> over huge pages in 4k chunks). Last time I touched that, I entered a
>>> world of pain and don't plan to return there immediately :)
>>>
>>> Catalin -- feeling brave?
>>>
>>> FWIW: the new IOMMU page-table stuff I just got merged *does* make use
>>> of leaf-invalidation for the SMMU.
>>
>>   thanks for the background. I'm guessing how much of PTWalk
>> is cached is implementation dependent. One old paper quotes upto 40%
>> improvement for some industry benchmarks that cache all stage1/2 PTWalk
>> entries.
>
> Is it caching in the TLB or in the level 1 CPU cache?

AFAICT this is caching in what other vendors call page walk cache.
It's likely for host - improvements may not be that
dramatic. For Guest 1st stage table/pte lookups
are 2nd stage n-level walks. I would think
performance will vary on CPU implementation of this
intermediate cache especially if nested page entries
are cached. I guess it's likely onc CPU will show
huge improvement and others may not.

> I would indeed expect some improvement without many drawbacks. The only
> thing we need in Linux is to distinguish between leaf TLBI and TLBI for
> page table tearing down. It's not complicated, it just needs some
> testing (strangely enough, I tried to replace all user TLBI with the L
> variants on a Juno board and no signs of any crashes).

I tried that too it worked, but with very minimal test. But
I think I understand what the concern is using the 'L'
variant may leave intermediate table entries cached and corrupt
another process PTW.

- Mario