[GIT PULL 4/8] clk: tegra: Changes for v4.2-rc1

Michael Turquette mturquette at linaro.org
Thu Jun 18 16:41:26 PDT 2015

Quoting Mikko Perttunen (2015-05-28 00:03:01)
> [...]
> > clock by calling set_rate_and_parent() with the new parent and
> > whatever recalc_rate returns for the new parent's rate going into
> > the clock?
>
> There isn't really a problem, but the EMC driver cannot implement this
> operation sensibly so it would just always return an error if the (rate,
> parent) pair given to set_rate_and_parent() doesn't exactly match one of
> the entries specified in device tree.
>

> >> Furthermore, the CCF cannot help with parent selection for the EMC clock
> >> at all. The parent for each rate is selected by the board designer.
> >
> > I'm not following this part. The CCF mostly asks clock providers
> > what parent should be used when clk_set_rate() is called.
>
> Yep, that much is fine; what I was alluding was the above (set_parent
> and set_rate_and_parent with an unlisted (rate, parent) pair are invalid)
>

> >> There is also the issue that sometimes, the EMC driver cannot directly
> >> switch to the target (rate, parent) pair; instead it is necessary to
> >> switch first to another pair we call a backup timing. In this situation,
> >> we temporarily have a parent that is neither the one we had before the
> >> set_rate call or the one it will be after. Especially, if the switch to
> >> the backup timing succeeds but the following switch to the target timing
> >> fails, then without the reparent call the parent in hardware would be
> >> left inconsistent with the software state.
> >
> > Yes, I've sent a patch a while ago to support an idea of a "safe
> > parent" or a backup timing that can be used while a clock is
> > reprogrammed. Mike has also proposed the concept of "coordinated
> > clock rates" which would do something similar and allow clock
> > providers to control complicated rate transitions themselves. It
> > seems that we may be able to use the "safe parent" concept here,
> > where first we switch to some other parent, call the set_rate*
> > op, and then switch the parent back if we're not already using
> > the parent that we should be using.
>
> While I'm not sure how much sophistication is warranted in the CCF, for
> our use case this backup timing has to be able to be a function of the
> timing we are leaving and preferably also the target timing. Also, as
> usual, the backup timings are (rate, parent) pairs, and just changing
> rate or just changing parent are both impossible.
>

> > This sort of thing becomes important for things like per-clock
> > locking where we need to know how the clock tree is going to
> > change *before* we modify the clock tree. If we go back and forth
> > between the clock providers and the clock tree while we're in the
> > middle of making irreversible changes to the hardware, we may get
> > stuck in a situation where we need to lock more clocks and then
> > we may need to undo hardware changes.
> >

> Yeah, makes sense.
>
> Do you think you can still pull this patchset? There's other code in
> linux-next that depends on it and I'd prefer to have a working driver in
> the kernel; if/when the improvements to CCF materialize we could update

I'm not really sure what to do with this PR. This seems to fall into the
same category as the Exynos "cpu clocks" series: you have a complex
sequence that requires multiple clock nodes to be changes in a
coordinated fashion.

I'm working on some core infrastructure to fix this. I'd like to get
that on the list asap and possibly merged for 4.3. I think it can
benefit your case and remove the need to export clk_hw_reparent, which
is pretty nasty.

What exactly will break if this is not pulled? I appreciate your offer
to update this driver when the core changes are merged, but I would
prefer to do it the right way first, instead of fixing up something that
is already merged after the fact.

Regards,
Mike