[Patch v4 0/8] Consolidate ACPI PCI root common code into ACPI core

Jiang Liu jiang.liu at linux.intel.com
Wed Jun 3 23:41:47 PDT 2015

On 2015/6/4 14:31, Hanjun Guo wrote:
> Hi Jiang,
>
> On 2015年06月04日 09:54, Jiang Liu wrote:
>>>
>>> Link is missing (or it's a typo of some flavor).
>> HI Al,
>>     Sorry, I missed the link. It has been posted at:
>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/5/26/207
>
> I failed to get io resources for PCI hostbridge  when I was testing PCI
> on ARM64 QEMU, I debugged this for quite a while, and finally found out
> that ACPI resource parsing for IO is not suitable for ARM64, because io
> space for x86 is 64K, but 16M for ARM64.
>
> This issue is only found when the firmware representing the io resource
> using the type ACPI_RESOURCE_TYPE_ADDRESS32, so the io address will
> greater than 64k.
>
> In drivers/acpi/resource.c:
>
> static void acpi_dev_ioresource_flags(struct resource *res, u64 len,
>                                       u8 io_decode, u8 translation_type)
> {
>         res->flags = IORESOURCE_IO;
>
> [...]
>
>         if (res->end >= 0x10003)
>                 res->flags |= IORESOURCE_DISABLED | IORESOURCE_UNSET;
>
> [...]
> }
>
> so the code will filter out res->end >= 0x10003, and in my case, it will
> more than 64K, so we can't get the IO resources.
>
> I got a question, why we use if (res->end >= 0x10003) here?
> I mean 64k will be 0x10000, and in that case, we should use
> if (res->end >= 0x10000) here, not 0x10003, any history behind that?

Hi Hanjun,
This is a special tricky for x86. You may read a dword(four bytes) from
IO port 0xffff, so the effective io port space is 0x10003 bytes.

> This is not the problem of this patch set, but need updating
> the core ACPI resource parsing code, I'm working on that. I'm
> just wondering there is no special IO space on IA64, how this works
> on IA64?
There is special handling for IO port on IA64. IA64 io ports are
actually memory-mapped, and there may be multiple 64K IO port spaces.
For example, each PCI domain may have its own 64k memory-mapped
IO space.
Thanks!
Gerry