MUSB dual-role on AM335x behaving weirdly

Maxime Ripard maxime.ripard at free-electrons.com
Thu Jan 22 02:43:30 PST 2015

Hi Yegor,

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 08:37:45AM +0100, Yegor Yefremov wrote:
> On 21.01.2015 19:53, Bin Liu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 10:06 AM, Maxime Ripard
> > <maxime.ripard at free-electrons.com> wrote:
> >> Hi Felipe,
> >>
> >> I'm currently working on a custom AM335x-based board, that has a OTG
> >> connector wired to one of the musb controlers, and Linux 3.17
> >>
> >> This OTG connector seems to behave in a weird way when it comes to
> >> switching from one role to another:
> >>
> >>   - The host mode works with CONFIG_USB_MUSB_DUAL_ROLE set, only if
> >>     the dr_mode is set to host in the DT, and only if we plug the USB
> >>     device after the kernel has booted. Otherwise, even though the
> >>     controller seems to be set up as host in the kernel logs, it
> >>     doesn't work. When DR-mode is set to otg, DRVVBUS is not high
> >>     which surely doesn't help, but there might be some other issues.
> >>
> >>   - The gadget mode works with CONFIG_USB_MUSB_DUAL_ROLE, if dr_mode
> >>     is set to otg and not host (obviously), and only if we plug the
> >>     USB cable after the kernel has booted.
> >>
> >>   - The gadget mode works with CONFIG_USB_MUSB_GADGET, and with
> >>     dr_mode set to otg, even if we cold plug the device.
> >>
> >>   - As you might expect from the two first items, the runtime
> >>     switching from gadget to host when CONFIG_USB_MUSB_DUAL_ROLE is
> >>     set and dr_mode is set in otg doesn't work either.
> >>
> >> It looks like it's only waiting for an interrupt to occur to read the
> >> ID pin state, without reading its initial value, which would explain
> >> why both the host and gadget enumerate only when a device/cable is
> >> hotplugged, and that there's some configuration bits that differ
> >> whenever dr_mode changes, but I couldn't really see anything standing
> >> out in the driver nor the datasheet.
> >>
> >> Have you already experienced something alike with that driver?
> >
> > I don't use vanilla mainline kernel very often, but I don't have such
> > hotplug issues with TI 3.12/14 kernels [1]. I only use
> > CONFIG_USB_MUSB_DUAL_ROLE though.
> >
> > [1] git://git.ti.com/ti-linux-kernel/ti-linux-kernel.git, branch
> > remote/origin/linux-3.14.y
>
> I have the same experience with 3.15. The switching is working when
> CONFIG_USB_MUSB_DUAL_ROLE is set and dr_mode = "otg". But since 3.16
> it seems to be broken. Still had no time to bisect this.

I just gave 3.15 a quick try, and it looks like it can now detect when
the device is acting as a gadget, but the host mode is not working at
all.

That's a good lead though, I'll dig more into the older versions and
see if some are working better than others.

Thanks!
Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons