sun9i pll4 upstream kernel code seems wrong

Chen-Yu Tsai wens at csie.org
Sat Jan 17 04:09:34 PST 2015

Hi,

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 7:15 PM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 17-01-15 12:12, Hans de Goede wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 17-01-15 11:37, Chen-Yu Tsai wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> PLL1 was mentioned as I forgot to change that one in
>>> the comment. I copied the comment section from others.
>>>
>>> Other than that, I'm not sure what part is off. The
>>> code was done without the user manual, only with the
>>> SDK bits. I think in the SDK the minimum value of 12
>>> for N factor was not mentioned. But other than that,
>>> it should work fine.
>>

>> Ok, so looking at the code again it is not that much
>> of, just hard to read, and it does contain some errors:
>>
>>          /* divs above 256 cannot be odd */
>>          if (div > 256)
>>                  div = round_up(div, 2);
>>
>> Should be:
>>
>>          /* divs above 255 must be a multiple of 2 */
>>          if (div > 255)
>>                  div = round_up(div, 2);
>>
>> Note the 255, and replacing must be odd with
>> a multiple of 2, as this had nothing to do with odd /
>> even (more on that later).
>>
>> Likewise this:
>>
>>      /* divs above 512 must be a multiple of 4 */
>>          if (div > 512)
>>                  div = round_up(div, 4);
>>
>> Should have s/512/511/ done on it.
>>
>> And this:
>>
>>          /* m will be 1 if div is odd */
>>          if (div & 1)
>>                  *m = 1;
>>          else
>>                  *m = 0;
>>
>> Is nonsense, the div may have been odd all along,
>> (never been rounded) and we should still use m = 1, e.g.
>> to make 78 MHz.
>

> Correction this should read:
>
> Is nonsense, the div may have been *even* all along,
> (never been rounded) and we should still use m = 1, e.g.
> to make *72* MHz.

The m and p constraints were based on comments in the
original SDK code, which weren't very clear as to if
they were hardware constraints or just preferred
behavior in the code path. Looking back, I agree the
work done by me here could have been better.

> Regards,
>
> Hans
>

>> So this should be:
>>
>>          if (div < 256)
>>                  *m = 1;
>>          else
>>                  *m = 0;
>>
>> Preferably I would like to see the entire thing rewritten
>> into something IMHO much more readable / less error prone,
>> like this:
>>
>> {
>>      u8 n;
>>      u8 m = 1;
>>      u8 p = 1;
>>
>>      /* Normalize value to a 6M multiple */
>>      n = DIV_ROUND_UP(*freq, 6000000);
>>
>>      if (n > 255) {
>>          m = 0;
>>          n = (n + 1) / 2;
>>      }
>>
>>      if (n > 255) {
>>          p = 0;
>>          n = (n + 1) / 2;
>>      }
>>
>>      if (n > 255)
>>          n = 255;
>>      else if (n < 12)
>>          n = 12;
>>
>>      *freq = ((24000000 * n) >> p) / (m + 1);
>>
>>      if (n_ret == NULL)
>>          return;
>>
>>      *n_ret = n;
>>      *m_ret = m;
>>      *p_ret = p;
>> }
>>
>> With the n / m / p function parameters renamed to foo_ret.

Since you've pretty much wrote the whole function, would
you send a patch out when you get the chance?

Thanks
ChenYu