SPCR table parsing

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Thu Jan 15 19:08:37 PST 2015

Hi Folks,

We're implementing support for SPCR table parsing shortly[0], since it
will allow to deprecate supplying a "console=" (and eventually, also
"earlycon=") on 64-bit ARM servers, where it's not always the case that
we can assume a 16550 at a specific address. SPCR has been provided on
x86 systems since 2000 but is not (yet) supported by Linux.

If anyone knows of existing efforts on e.g. x86 or IA64, please get in
touch. I expect the initial implementation to require revision 2+ modern
server systems and possibly be limited to ARM initially.

Thanks,

Jon.

[0] This table is now published under a non-restrictive implementation
license and is linked from the UEFI ACPI documents webpage.