Including empty regulator nodes in axp209.dtsi is a BAD idea

Maxime Ripard maxime.ripard at free-electrons.com
Thu Jan 15 14:04:38 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 12:54:58AM +0800, Chen-Yu Tsai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 3:42 PM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hi,

> >> Indeed.

> >> I disagree. The regulator disabling is a feature, and how the board is
> >> wired is, well, up to the board.
> >

> > And here I was thinking you wanted to reduce the amount of boilerplate
> > in our dts files ..
> >
> > IOW I disagree with your disagreeing all boards we know of have dcdc2
> > wired to Vcpu and dcdc3 wired to Vddr, so not having this in the dtsi
> > will lead to a lot of extra boilerplate in each dts file. We're not
> > talking about our main dtsi file here, if we ever encounter a board
> > which is wired in a different way, then its dts can simply not use
> > axp209.dtsi and instead define the nodes itself, it needs to do that
> > anyways if we do include the standard CPU and DDR constrains in the
> > dtsi since those will not make sense either in that case.
>
> I think Maxime is only disagreeing to the "always-on" part. And I
> somewhat agree with him, but on a technical level. It doesn't seem
> possible to negate at the board level the "always-on" set in the dtsi,
> or it is not obvious to me how to do so. With properties with values
> you just set a new value. How do you "unset" a boolean flag?

You don't, but Hans suggestion was to not use the DTSI then and define
the nodes yourself in your DTS.

Another solution would be if this case comes up at some point to just
push the always-on constraints to the boards, but assume for now that
all boards will want it to be always on.

> As for the constraints, I think we can agree that everyone will use
> the reference design if they choose to include the PMIC on a board.

I'm not sure to get what you mean here. The PMIC has constraints of
its own (the min/max voltage it can deliver), and boards will have
some too (ie the min/max voltage the components can handle). So I
guess we will end up with constraints defined at both levels.

> >> If an always-on property is needed, then it's in the DTS, not in the
> >> AXP DTSI.

> >> Ideally, all the drivers that have a analogic component should have a
> >> reference to the regulator they use. But again, at the board
> >> level. And more realistically, putting always-on should also happen at
> >> the board level.

> >> I'm afraid it's an "all or nothing" situation.
> >

> > No it is not, the PMIC is a mfd, and we can use some of its functions
> > fine without actually loading the regulator bits. This is already
> > done on most boards with the axp209, even without touching the regulators
> > it is nice to have the axp209 mfd driver loaded so that we get support
> > for the powerbutton, and support for poweroff, esp. the latter is quite
> > nice to have.
>
> I agree that a) the PMIC is an mfd, and b) we can use other bits without
> some sort of crash or issue, just because some regulator got turned off,
> it seems to me that the dt is not accurately describing the hardware.

Yeah, that's kind of the same argument than the one we had with
simplefb clocks. So I guess we can agree that we can allow the MFD
part alone to work, but if regulator support is introduced, then *all*
regulators must be described accurately.

Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com