[Linaro-acpi] [RFC] ACPI on arm64 TODO List

Hanjun Guo hanjun.guo at linaro.org
Wed Jan 14 20:07:45 PST 2015

On 2015年01月14日 08:26, Al Stone wrote:
> On 01/13/2015 10:22 AM, Grant Likely wrote:

>>> Just to be sure I get this right: do you mean runtime or boot-time
>>> (re-)configuration for those?
>>
>> Both are important.

>>> I can definitely see the need for an architected interface for
>>> dynamic reconfiguration in cases like this, and I think the ACPI
>>> model actually does this better than the IBM Power hypervisor
>>> model, I just didn't see the need on servers as opposed to something
>>> like a laptop docking station to give a more obvious example I know
>>> from x86.
>
> I know of at least one server product (non-ARM) that uses the
> hot-plugging of CPUs and memory as a key feature, using the
> ACPI OSPM model.  Essentially, the customer buys a system with
> a number of slots and pays for filling one or more of them up
> front.  As the need for capacity increases, CPUs and/or RAM gets
> enabled; i.e., you have spare capacity that you buy as you need
> it.  If you use up all the CPUs and RAM you have, you buy more
> cards, fill the additional slots, and turn on what you need.  This
> is very akin to the virtual machine model, but done with real hardware
> instead.

There is another important user case for RAS, systems running critical
missions such as bank billing system, system like that need high
reliability that the machine can't be stopped.

So when error happened on hardware including CPU/memory DIMM on such
machines, we need to replace them at run-time.

> Whether or not this product is still being sold, I do not know.  I
> have not worked for that company for eight years, and they were just
> coming out as I left.  Regardless, this sort of hot-plug does make
> sense in the server world, and has been used in shipping products.

I think it still will be, Linux developers put lots of effort to
enable memory hotplug and computer node hotplug in the kernel [1], and
the code already merged into mainline.

[1]:
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/lcjp13_chen.pdf

Thanks