Query: ARM64: Behavior of el1_dbg exception while executing el0_dbg

Pratyush Anand panand at redhat.com
Tue Jan 13 09:53:25 PST 2015

On Tuesday 13 January 2015 09:22 PM, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 06:46:36AM +0000, Pratyush Anand wrote:

> [...]
>>> Regardless, I think you need to debug further and found out if PSTATE.D is
>>> getting cleared and, if so, who is responsible for that. Somebody could be
>>> enabling IRQs, for example, which will then unmask debug exceptions in
>>> el1_irq.
>>
>> This is what I see for pstate, When el0_dbg exception is raised (ie an
>> exception raised with ESR = ESR_EL1_EC_BRK64 after executing instruction
>> BRK64_OPCODE_UPROBES = 0xD4200100 in EL0, user mode), spsr_el1 value is
>> 0x80000000. Which means, all exceptions are unmasked. Is it expected?
>
> spsr_el1 is the EL0 pstate saved when entering EL1. So it is expected
> that user space always has interrupts enabled.

Yes, I was wrong :(
By the way, is there a way to read cpsr or current PSTATE.D?

That would help me to know if PSTATE.D was unmasked just before
executing BRK64_OPCODE_UPROBES. Actually, print in enable_dbg macro give
me other issues and does not allow system to boot.

I will still try to find some way to capture enable_dbg macro
path.However, if I just examine the code flow then I do not see a
situation where enable_dbg could have been called after receiving
el0_dbg.(or other than enable_dbg is there some other path too which can
re-enable debug exception??)

-- Application executes  BRK64_OPCODE_UPROBES.
-- el0_sync is raised.
-- el0_sync
	-> kernel_entry 0
	-> el0_dbg
		-> do_debug_exception
			->brk_handler
				->call_break_hook
					->uprobe_breakpoint_handler

None of the above path seems calling enable_dbg, then how do we receive
el1_sync when first instruction of uprobe_breakpoint_handler (which has
been replaced with BRK64_OPCODE_KPROBES) is executed?

~Pratyush