Query: ARM64: Behavior of el1_dbg exception while executing el0_dbg

Pratyush Anand panand at redhat.com
Mon Jan 12 22:46:36 PST 2015

On Monday 12 January 2015 11:00 PM, Will Deacon wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 05:13:29PM +0000, Pratyush Anand wrote:

>>> Yeah, if you look at entry.S then you'll see that neither el0_dbg or el1_dbg
>>> re-enable debug exceptions (masked automatically by the CPU after taking the
>>> exception) until *after* the handling has completed. This is to prevent
>>> recursive debug exceptions, which I don't see how we can reasonable handle.
>>
>> May be I am missing something, but my observation on silicon is
>> different. Please have a look at git log of HEAD of following branch,
>> which says that el1_dbg exception has been raised while el0_dbg was
>> executing. Do not know what I am missing..
>>
>> https://github.com/pratyushanand/linux/tree/ml_arm64_uprobe_devel_debug_kprobe_insertion_at_uprobe_breakpoint_handler
>
> That page just says "Failed to load latest commit information." for me.

may be you can fetch https://github.com/pratyushanand/linux.git and can
see git log of HEAD of
ml_arm64_uprobe_devel_debug_kprobe_insertion_at_uprobe_breakpoint_handler.

Or, you can apply attached patches on top of v3.18 kernel.

> Regardless, I think you need to debug further and found out if PSTATE.D is
> getting cleared and, if so, who is responsible for that. Somebody could be
> enabling IRQs, for example, which will then unmask debug exceptions in
> el1_irq.

This is what I see for pstate, When el0_dbg exception is raised (ie an
exception raised with ESR = ESR_EL1_EC_BRK64 after executing instruction
BRK64_OPCODE_UPROBES = 0xD4200100 in EL0, user mode), spsr_el1 value is
0x80000000. Which means, all exceptions are unmasked. Is it expected?

~Pratyush