[RFC] ACPI on arm64 TODO List

Pavel Machek pavel at ucw.cz
Mon Jan 12 11:39:05 PST 2015

On Mon 2015-01-12 14:41:50, Grant Likely wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 2:23 PM, Pavel Machek <pavel at ucw.cz> wrote:

> >> I've posted an article on my blog, but I'm reposting it here because
> >> the mailing list is more conducive to discussion...
> >>
> >> http://www.secretlab.ca/archives/151
> >
> > Unfortunately, I seen the blog post before the mailing list post, so
> > here's reply in blog format.
> >
> > Grant Likely published article about ACPI and ARM at
> >
> > http://www.secretlab.ca/archives/151
> >
> > . He acknowledges systems with ACPI are harder to debug, but because
> > Microsoft says so, we have to use ACPI (basically).
>
> Please reread the blog post. Microsoft is a factor, but it is not the
> primary driver by any means.

Ok, so what is the primary reason? As far as I could tell it is
"Microsoft wants ACPI" and "hardware people want Microsoft" and
"fragmentation is bad so we do ACPI" (1) (and maybe "someone at RedHat
says they want ACPI" -- but RedHat people should really speak for
themselves.)

You snipped quite a lot of reasons why ACPI is inferior that were
below this line in email.

									Pavel

(1) ignoring fact that it causes fragmentation between servers and phones.